[Mailman-Users] unable to reply Mailman Administrator

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri May 7 16:03:28 CEST 2010

On 5/6/2010 11:43 PM, Kibirango Moses wrote:
> I am unable to reply Mailman Administrator , how best can i fix this
> problem the output i get is below
>
> The message WAS NOT relayed to:<name at domain name>: [127.0.0.1] said:554
> 5.4.0 Failed, id=21662-04, from MTA([127.0.0.1]:10025): 554 5.4.0 Error:
> too many hops

Your mail system is mis-configured in some way. I can only guess, but it
looks like you may have circular aliases for this address, whatever it
is, i.e., this address is aliased to some other address which directly
or indirectly is aliased back to this address.

> This nondelivery report was generated by the program amavisd-new at host
> mail.mak.ac.ug. Our internal reference code for your message is
> 21662-04/EUHGsEqR1cWQ
>

> Undeliverable mail MTA blocked
>

> My smtp-failure mailman logs show the output below:
>

> Low level smtp error: [Errno111] Connection refused, msgid:
> <mailman.0.1272542181.3599.apr at muklists.mak.ac.ug>delivery to
> apr at dicts.mak.ac.ug failed with code -1: [Errno 111] Connection refused

This looks relatively benign, and I don't think it is related to the
above error. The message-id indicates this is a message generated by
Mailman (either a notice, a confirmation or a digest) on behalf of the
apr at muklists.mak.ac.ug list and it is being sent to a similar address,
apr at dicts.mak.ac.ug which presumably doesn't deliver back to the list
(it would be a problem if it did, but not the cause of the error).

If this is a persistent error, see the FAQ at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/-IA9> for some debugging hints, but it basically
says Mailman was unable to connect to the outgoing MTA to send this
message. If it is persistent, the MTA that mailman is sending to
(probably on localhost:25) is not accepting connects from the Mailman
server (again probably localhost), and Mailman can't send mail at all.
If it is transient, it may be associated with an MTA restart or
something of that nature and can be ignored.