[Mailman-Users] Changing host names, revisited... DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun May 2 23:03:30 CEST 2010

On 5/2/2010 1:21 PM, Tanstaafl wrote:
> The second question I have is about the DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST setting...
>
> Currently, people send to my lists using listname at example.com and
> everything is working fine. But, while prepping for this change I found
> this commented section from someone's mm_cfg.py (these comments aren't
> in mine for some reason):
>
> # For example, if people visit your Mailman system with
> # "http://www.dom.ain/mailman" then your url fqdn is "www.dom.ain",
> # and if people send mail to your system via "yourlist at dom.ain" then
> # your email fqdn is "dom.ain".  DEFAULT_URL_HOST controls the former,
> # and DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST controls the latter.

The comments are in some downstream package. They aren't in the default
GNU Mailman distribution.

> According to this, my DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST should just be 'example.com',
> but it isn't, it is myhost.example.com - so why is mine working ok?

If you go to the list's listinfo page, what does it say the list posting
address is? If it says listname at example.com, then either you had
different settings when you created the list, or you changed the list's
host_name attribute on the General Options admin page from
myhost.example.com to example.com.

then all the email addresses Mailman generates for this list are
@myhost.example.com. Now they probably work because

>> POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['myhost.example.com']

says generate virtual alias maps for Postfix for any list that has
host_name myhost.example.com, so if Postfix is configured to use
Mailman's data/virtual-mailman, mail sent to list addresses
@myhost.example.com will be properly delivered.

Note that all DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST does is set the default host_name
attribute for new lists. Once a list is created, it has no effect.