[Mailman-Users] 3rd party email unsubscribe request fails

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Mar 13 04:28:38 CET 2010

Michael Belanger wrote:

>I have recently set up Mailman version 2.1.13.  Everything works as
>expected except for the email form I use on my website to unsubscribe
>folks.
>
>It takes and email address submission and composes an email to
>listname-request at listserv.mydomain.org   with body of:

>end
>
>apache gets an email response from mailman as follows:
>

>The results of your email command are provided below. Attached is your

This was solved on the #mailman irc channel after the post was
submitted, but before it was approved.

was unprocessed because there was an invalid command in the subject.

The subject was "Remove from my email List" and remove is a synonym for
unsubscribe, so the subject looked like an unsubscribe command with
syntax errors and produced the Usage: message for 'unsubscribe'.

Emails to the -request address can contain commands in the Subject:
header. UnVERPed confirmations in particular work this way. Thus, if
the Subject is not intended to be a command, it must not begin with
any of the following email command words:

confirm
echo
end
help
info
join
leave
lists
password
remove
set
stop
subscribe
unsubscribe
who

or it will be interpreted as a command and if it contains an error,
will abort processing of the actual command(s).