[Mailman-Users] Footers As Attachments

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Mar 12 17:01:38 CET 2010

Zone Page wrote:

>I've been using Mailman for a long time for several small lists that I
>maintain. There are two configuration issues that I still do not
>understand. First, messages sent to participants have the footer as an
>attachment. The only way I could get rid of the attachment was to delete
>the footer text. The messages on this list have the footer, and it is
>not showing up as an attachment, so I am doing something wrong.

See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/84A9>

The footers are not (usually) separate MIME parts on this list because
people tend to post plain text, and this list uses Mailman's content
filtering to remove non plain text parts from posts so the footers can
be added to the simple plain text message body.

>The other question has to do with bounce processing. When I load a new
>list of email addresses, how can I check for bad ones other than wait
>until there are enough bounces within a period of time to unsubscribe?
>It would be very helpful to be able to designate an email address to
>which ALL bounces are sent. Can that be done?

When you "load a new list of email addresses", invite the list rather
than subscribing it. Problem solved.

There already is an address to which all bounces are sent. It is
LISTNAME-bounces at ... If you have control over the MTA that delivers
this mail, you can deliver it anywhere you want. You can also set the
bounce processing threshold score to 1 to disable delivery and notify
the admin upon the first bounce.