[Mailman-Users] good web hosting company for Mailman?

Adam McGreggor adam-mailman at amyl.org.uk
Thu Mar 11 16:23:37 CET 2010

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 09:03:06PM +0000, nigel white wrote:
> My hosting company have just put a ceiling on the number of emails our
> domain can post in an hour = 100. This is hopeless for us, as one email
> sent to a list with 98 members = 98 emails, in their book. Consequently
> loads of my emails are being discarded by the server and my punters are
> cross.

Move providers to someone who can sort your needs.

> Another drawback of my host, for Mailman admin, is that Mailman can only
> be installed via CPanel. Also SSH terminal access is not permitted. Its
> all very limiting.

Are you a (wannabe) sysadmin?

> Which hosts are good for Mailman? Who do you folks use? I have a
> preference for small UK companies, but any efficient and good value
> suggestions are welcome.

I run my own boxes, some hosted with Mythic Beasts (in Cambridge),
some elsewhere.

Mythic offer shell-accounts (which may be all you need), with
Mailman offerings as add-ons. See
    http://mythic-beasts.com/pricelist.html
(they also have a referral scheme...).

(or you might find one of their VPSes sufficient for your needs;
although on a recent look, Bytemark offer more bits-for-your-bucks.)

<work_hat>I keep meaning to splinter-out and set-up a
mail-done-properly-but-cheaply-in-the-uk service</work_hat>

--
``Treason doth ne'er prosper / And what is the reason?
  If treason should prosper / None dare call it treason.''