[Mailman-Users] Reply address

Barry Finkel b19141 at anl.gov
Tue Jun 8 20:47:26 CEST 2010

Richard Smits <R.Smits at tudelft.nl> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>We have a strange problem with our mailman server and some mailclients.
>I will explain. Sometimes when a member sends email to a list, and
>someone replies to that mail, the reply goes to the list.
>
>And sometimes the To : adres is listname-bounces at listserver.ourcompany.net
>
>My question is, is there maybe an issue with specific mailclients not
>responding correctly to the headers inserted by mailman ?
>
>Our company uses a lot of different mailclients, so i am not yet after
>the cause of this. But is it possible that this happens ?
>
>I will hunt for more specific information, but maybe someone could give
>me some hints ?

I have seen the problem when someone on a BlackBerry does a
have not yet gotten a reply.  The other times that I have seen it,
I have contacted the sender.  When I get a reply, I learn that the
sender saw the address and manually used it as a reply address.
Obviously, when I don't get a reply, I have no idea how the -bounces
address got into the mail headers.
Barry S. Finkel
Building 240, Room 5.B.8             Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov