[Mailman-Users] Changing mailing list URLs

Eli Barzilay eli at barzilay.org
Sat Jun 5 11:03:41 CEST 2010

On Jun  3, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Eli Barzilay wrote:
>
> >That's easy:
> >
> >  ScriptAliasMatch "^/([a-z-]+/)([a-z]+)(/?.*)$" \
> >      "/usr/lib/mailman/cgi-bin/$2/$1$3"
> >
> >Or replace that "[a-z]+" with "admin|admindb|confirm|...".
>
> Yes, although I think that
>
> ScriptAliasMatch "^/mailman/([a-z-]+/)([a-z]+)(/?.*)$" \
>       "/usr/lib/mailman/cgi-bin/$2/$1$3"
>
> is probably a bit closer.

(Well, I also don't use a "mailman" in the url -- it's on a lists.*
domain name, so there's no need for another element in the url that
says that it's a mailing list...)

In any case, this:

> Changing the GetScriptURL method in Mailman/MailList.py to the
> following
>
>     def GetScriptURL(self, scriptname, absolute=0):
>         return re.sub('/([^/]*$)', '/' + self.internal_name() + r'/\1',
>               Utils.ScriptURL(scriptname, self.web_page_url, absolute))
>
> Seems to work for the admin interface, and will work for more but I
> won't guarantee it will work for everything.

was the missing bit -- I've actually looked at this function, but
couldn't figure out whether it should change, or maybe it's
Utils.ScrintURL that should change.  Now it's clear -- that this one
adds the list name, and your regexp hacks it into the right place
("right" wrt what I want...).  Thanks!

> >BTW, it just happens (really by accident) that someone pointed me
> >at http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI today -- it's a good
> >summary of what bugs me with the default mailman url scheme:
> >"pipermail" is related to the implementation of the archiver,
>

> "pipermail" in public archive URLs exists only in the web server
>
> Alias   /pipermail/     /usr/local/mailman/archives/public/
>
> and the Defaults.py setting
>
> PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL = 'http://%(hostname)s/pipermail/%(listname)s'
>
> It's easily changed to anything you like.

Yeah -- and that was the first thing I did...  Only then I became
greedy.  (But regardless, I think that it's a bad convention to use
when "pipermail" doesn't really mean anything to the end users --
unless I'm missing some expression (I'm not a native English
speaker).)

> >and the <verb>/<list> thing is something that after 5 years of
> >moderating about 10 lists I still can't remember.  It's especially
> >bad with links like:
> >
> >  http://<host>/admin/<list>/members?letter=a
> >
> >where the verb is on one side of the list name, and the arguments
> >are on the other side.  It seems much better to me to think about
> >the interfaces as being part of the list.  It would even work
> >better with URL completion...
>
> Join the mailman-developers at python.org list; see the thread at
> <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-developers/2010-June/021093.html>,
> and join the discussion.

(Unfortunately my plate is so full it's not even funny...)