[Mailman-Users] Googlemail -> Gmail: A three step approach...

Adam McGreggor adam-mailman at amyl.org.uk
Wed Jun 2 16:44:22 CEST 2010

Hi,

I thought other listadmins might be having fun with gmail now being
available in the UK (rather than "googlemail", as it has been for a
while (despite 'gmail' originally being available, back in the days of
invitation only)), and thought I'd share my hackish way around this,
so listfolks can post from their gmail.com addresses.

It's not pretty, but works for me -- pre-requisite, Mark's very useful
"non-members" script: http://www.msapiro.net/scripts/non_members

1   find who you need to work with:

    mkdir ~/tmp/gmail

    /var/lib/mailman/bin$ list_lists -b | while read L; \
    do \
        list_members ${L} | grep googlemail > ~/tmp/gmail/${L}; \
    done

2   Zap annoucement lists from the files, remove empty files, too.

3   Let them post!

    /var/lib/mailman/bin$ ls -1 ~/tmp/gmail | while read L; do \
        sed 's/@googlemail.com/@gmail.com/' ~/tmp/gmail/${L} | \
        while read X; do \
            ./non_members --list=${L} --filter=accept --add ${X} --verbose; \
        done; \
    done

(nb: the path (/var/lib/mailman/bin) is from a Debian machine -- Mailman
installed via packages -- and in my case /var/lib/mailman/bin being in
my ${PATH} -- so replace those as appropriate in your cases.)

Which seems to have done the trick: in both cases, I just used
long-lines, but I think I've \'d in the right places, above YMMV.

Hope that helps others.

--
The University of California Department of Statistics...
where mean is normal, and deviation standard