[Mailman-Users] Someone to install Mailman?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Jul 30 06:06:08 CEST 2010

Please don't hijack threads. Post new topics as a new post, not as a
reply to an unrelated message.

On 7/29/2010 7:29 AM, Толкунов Григорий wrote:
> At the moment I am compelled to install Mailman,
> so Mailman I have on FreeBSD 6.2 does not accept messages (list "test") from users -
> ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
> "|/usr/local/mailmam/mail/mailman post test"
>     (reason: 127)
>  ----- Transcript of session follows -----
> /usr/local/mailmam/mail/mailman: not found
> 554 5.3.0 unknown mailer error 127

Your aliases or whatever your MTA uses to deliver mail to Mailman
do/does not point to the correct location for the mail/mailman wrapper.
This says the MTA is trying to pipe the mail to
/usr/local/mailmam/mail/mailman, and that file is not found.

> It's as in the case  with-mail-gid is not established: "Group mismatch error. Mailman expected ..as group "mailnull", but the mail server to run the script as group "wheel"..." ;
> The message arises on the screen after command #/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post test
>
> command "make -V CONFIGURE_ARGS " in  /usr/ports/mail/mailman  gives out " with-mail-gid=mailnull"

This is a separate issue from the one above. It says that your Mailman
has been configured to expect the mailman/mail/mailman wrapper to be
invoked by the some process running as group 'mailnull', but the MTA is
invoking it as group 'wheel'.

You can see the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/tYA9> for a more detailed
explanation, but how to fix it is a FreeBSD packaging question.