[Mailman-Users] Help with MAILMAN list password

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Jul 23 05:35:49 CEST 2010

On 7/22/2010 8:11 PM, Anthony R. Thompson wrote:
> On 7/21/2010 11:21 AM, Mauricio Juarez wrote:
>> - I use mailman to administrate my email lists
>> - I need absolutely change the Admin Lists password
>> - I used the command: change_pw in my /bin Mailman directory, all was
>> My old password work too, do you know why? I change the root password
>> too ( the same) but doesnt work, now the old password and the new one
>> worked Help plz
>
> Mauricio, the confusion may come from the fact that there might be as
> many as three "passwords" involved here:
>
> 1) The password for the entire Mailman site installation (which you may
> not even have if you didn't install Mailman yourself; this is set with
> the mmsitepass command line program)
>
> 2) The password for the list itself (which is set when the list is
> created or later with change_pw as you wrote)

Stephen confused mmsitepass and change_pw in his reply. The above is
correct.

> 3) The passwords for the list owners if they're subscribed to the list.
>
> The confusion arises, I think, because Mailman actually accepts all of
> the above in terms of logging into the admin web interface for a list.

No. Mailman will not accept the owner's list member password (if
different from the list admin and site admin passwords) for logging in
to the admin web interface.

Also, as Stephen notes there is also a list moderator password which
allows access to the list's admindb page but not the admin pages. There
is no command line too so set the moderator password. it is set/changed
via the list's admin Passwords page.