[Mailman-Users] Recipient address rejected: User unknowninvirtualmailbox table

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Jul 10 16:47:52 CEST 2010

franc walter wrote:

>OK, again, if I have 3 virtual domains on it:
>
>example1.org
>example2.org
>example3.org
>
>and i want to have for each domain a separate list:
>
>list1 on example1.org
>list2 on example2.org
>list3 on example3.org
>
>The emailhost of each of those lists should be like
>
>lists.example1.org
>lists.example2.org
>lists.example3.org
>

>So is this the right setting:
>

>POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['example1.org', 'example2.org',
>'example3.org']
>
>add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)
>add_virtualhost('example1.org', 'lists.example1.org')
>add_virtualhost('example2.org', 'lists.example2.org')
>add_virtualhost('example3.org', 'lists.example3.org')

No. For the above situation you need

POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['lists.example1.org',
    'lists.example2.org', 'lists.example3.org']

The POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS are email domains, not web domains.

>In Postfix i put:
>
>alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases,hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases
>relay_domains = lists.example1.org,lists.example2.org,lists.example3.org
>mydestination = lists.example1.org, lists.example2.org, lists.example3.org,
>example1.org, example2.org, example3.org, localhost

lists.example1.org,, etc are virtual_alias_domains, not relay_domains.
Also, it they are in my_destination, they ar not Postfix virtual
domains at all, they are local domains to Postfix.

You need to decide which they are. Either they are in
virtual_alias_domains and not in my_destination, in which case, they
also need to be in POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS and you need the
,hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman below, or they are in
my-destination and not in virtual_alias_domains, in which case, they
do not need to be in POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS and you do not need
the ,hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman below

>virtual_alias_maps =
>mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual-alias-maps.cf,mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-email2email.cf,hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/virtual-mailman
>
>is this right?
>
>I wonder if i want to add a new virtual domain, now i have to change a lot
>in mm_cfg.py (mailman) and also in main.cf (postfix).
>And only then i can run:
>
>newlist --urlhost=example4.org --emailhost=lists.example4.org list4
>
>This seems to me much too complicated that i think there must be still many
>things i didn't get or i set wrong.

It's only a bit mor complicated than necessary. You do have to add the
lists.example4.org domain to virtual_alias_domains in main.cf and you
do need the

add_virtualhost('example4.org', 'lists.example4.org') in mm_cfg.py as
well as adding 'lists.example4.org' to POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS.
You also probably need to add the example4.org virtual host to the web
server, or if they are local to Postfix, you just have to add
lists.example4.org to my_destination and add the
add_virtualhost('example4.org', 'lists.example4.org') to mm_cfg.py,

but your bin/newlist can be just

newlist --urlhost=example4.org  list4

because newlist will look up the email host from the url host in the
dictionary that's updated with add_virtualhost.

Also, you could create the list from the web via

http://example4.org/cgi-bin/mailman/create

>I think my main problem is, that my origin language is NOT english and i
>probably just don't understand some important things when i read the doc.
>And there is NO german doc for mailman.

Perhaps you could contact the maintainers of the German translation
(see <http://wiki.list.org/x/Pw>) and ask them to volunteer to create
some.