[Mailman-Users] Not sending emails

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Jul 10 05:03:52 CEST 2010

On 7/8/2010 1:34 PM, Webmaster wrote:
> I used this method to install mailmain on my centos 5 server, apache,
> php and postifx.
> http://www.kholix.com/wiki/index.php/Howto_install_mailman_on_postfix_mta_server

Which tells you to use the third party postfix-to-mailman.py module for
mail delivery to Mailman, and which appears to be defective[1].

>  When I created the list the administrator received the e-mail the
> list was created.
>
> Then subscribed to the new list with a different e-mail and again
> received the confirmation e-mail.

So outgoing mail from Mailman works. This of course does not involve
postfix-to-mailman.py.

> Then I sent an e-mail to test at lists.example.com
> as the administrator and nothing
> happens. No bounce back, no e-mail sent, nothing archived it's like
> it just go out to no man’s land.
>
> I have to admit I suck and Linux so please try to keep it simple.

Looks in your Postfix log (/var/log/maillog, or wherever it is) and find
out what Postfix did with the message. If it successfully delivered it
via the 'mailman' relay/transport, it should have been queued in
Mailman's in/ queue (/var/spool/mailman/in in CentOS/RHEL). If not, the
Postfix log should give you a clue. Note, it must have been delivered
via the 'mailman' relay/transport. Any other delivery, e.g. to a
mailbox, won't work and indicates that Postfix' transport table doesn't
contain the

If it got successfully queued, see the FAQ at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/A4E9> (only items 1, 2b, 6b, 7, 8 and 9 are
potentially relevant to your situation).

[1] Your referenced howto appears to omit a crucial piece. You must add

lists.example.com   mailman:

to /etc/postfix/transport and then run 'postmap /etc/postfix/transport'.

Also, the postfix-to-mailman.py it tells you to use is broken for
current RHEL/CentOS because it assumes you can set a single MailmanHome
directory which contains both the lists/ directory and the mail/mailman
wrapper, but in current RHEL/CentOS these are /var/lib/mailman/lists and
/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman respectively.

Finally, it does mention

    *  Let do piping on postfix in order to deliver mailman lists.

mailman      unix   -       n       n       -       -       pipe
 flags=FR user=mailman:mailman
argv=/usr/lib/mailman/bin/postfix-to-mailman.py ${nexthop} ${mailbox}

but it doesn't say where (master.cf) to put that.