[Mailman-Users] 25,000 unsubscribes in one hour

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jul 8 23:20:46 CEST 2010

Dan Sherbondy wrote:

>Over a month ago I used mailman for a 100,000 mailing.
>
>Yesterday, in a 4 hour span, I received 25,000 unsubscribe notifications
>such as "lupetherealtor at yahoo.com has been removed from TopCARealtors"
>
>I normally received 100 unsubscribes per mailing so I think something is
>wrong and dont want to remove these people from my list unless they
>really unsubscribed.
>
>Is the unsubscribe notice used for bad addresses as well as
>unsubscribes?

Yes. When a member is unsubscribed by automated bounce processind, the
same message is sent to the list owner if
bounce_notify_owner_on_removal is Yes.

Also, if bounce_notify_owner_on_disable is Yes, there will be a notice
to the list owner containing the  triggering bounce at the time the
member's delivery is disabled which may or may bot be the same as the
time the member is removed depending on the setting of
bounce_you_are_disabled_warnings.

So these may have been legitimate bounce unsubscribes or they may have
been bounce unsubscribes due to some abnormal mail delivery failure or
they may be something else.

It's hard to say anything more without seeing the list's Bounce
processing settings, Mailman's bounce log and perhaps MTA logs.