[Mailman-Users] Recipient address rejected: User unknown invirtualmailbox table

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jul 8 19:50:13 CEST 2010

franc walter wrote:

>But i don't send to mailman at lists.example.com but to mailman at example.com,
>like described in the mailman-welcome-mail.
>Is this wrong?
[...]
>#-------------------------------------------------------------
># Default domain for email addresses of newly created MLs
>DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'example.org'

If you want to use postfix-to-mailman.py as you have set it up, the
above needs to be

DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'lists.example.com'

(the exact domain in your

lists.example.com      mailman:

entry in /etc/postfix/transport)

If you change that and then run

/path/to/mailman/bin/withlist -l -a -r fix_url

The address in the welcome message will be mailman at lists.example.com.

If this is not the domain you want for email, I suggest you forget
postfix-to-mailman.py and set up Mailman/Postfix integration as
discussed at <http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node12.html>

[..]
># Uncomment if you use Postfix virtual domains, but be sure to
># see /usr/share/doc/mailman/README.Debian first.
>
># fcw: 2010-07-06 Postfix
>MTA='Postfix'

This is irrelevant if you are using postfix-to-mailman.py

[...]

I think your postconf -n and master.cf are OK for postfix-to-mailman.py
as long as you mail to lists @lists.example.com (and change
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST and run fix_url so your lists know this).