[Mailman-Users] Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtualmailbox table

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jul 8 17:37:45 CEST 2010

franc walter <francwalter at gmx.de> wrote:

>having a virtual server with ubuntu 8.04 i installed with aptitude mailman
>(2.1.9-9u) with postfix, following:
>
>https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Mailman
>
>As admin, i can sign in new mailinglist-users, but if i mail to:
>
>Mailman-request at example.org (where example.org is my domain)
>
>i get a bounce-mail:
>
>Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table
>
>Same thing if i mail to mailman at example.org.
>Sure, i didn't create in my domain in postfix a user "mailman-request" or
>"mailman", because i thought this is what my installation and configuration
>in postfix checks out.
>
>What is wrong?
>Does anybody could give me a hint?

You don't create users or mailboxes for Mailman's list addresses. This
is handled by alias_maps, virtual_alias_domains, and
virtual_alias_maps in Postfix, or, since this is Debian/Ubuntu,
possibly by postfix_to_mailman.py.

If you are following the Postfix section of
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Mailman>, you have left something
out, possibly you didn't add

lists.example.com      mailman:

to the Postfix transport table, or possibly you are not mailing to the
lists.example.com domain.

See the installation Manual at
<http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node12.html> and/or the
Debian/Ubuntu specic documentation.

You may also find the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/ZoCj> relevant.

In order for this list to be of more help, we need more information
including

the contents of mm_cfg.py
the output of postconf -n

and possibly additional Postfix information such as the contents of or
at least anything to do with Mailman from master.cf and the Postfix
transport table.