[Mailman-Users] Mailman and Gmane ?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Jan 23 00:12:46 CET 2010

John Fitzsimons wrote:

>But this does lead me to think of a few more questions. If I closed
>my mailing list then wouldn't all the Mailman archive files be
>deleted ?

That's a cPanel question. In standard Mailman, whether you remove a
list from the command line with bin/rmlist or via the rmlist CGI (if
OWNERS_CAN_DELETE_THEIR_OWN_LISTS is True and there is a link on the
admin web pages) you have the option of removing or not removing the
archives.

My understanding is cPanel has it's own way of creating lists and
presumably an analagous way of removing them and I don't know how that
deals with archives.

>If I did that then I could presumably start the list again. Identical
>to the previous list. But with archiving turned "off" from the
>beginning ?

The drawback is all user options/passwords/etc. get lost. You can use
something like Jim T's and my mailman-subscribers.py script[1] to
screen scrape the web admin Membership List and make a .csv file of
the membership together with those options except language that are on
the Membership List pages, but restoring them is tedious. OTOH, if you
don't care about preserving these, you can just mass subscribe the
list and you're done.

[1] <http://www.msapiro.net/scripts/mailman-subscribers.py> or
<http://fog.ccsf.cc.ca.us/~msapiro/scripts/mailman-subscribers.py>.
This script runs on your workstation and requires Python be installed
there.