[Mailman-Users] Mailman and Gmane ?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Jan 22 16:00:04 CET 2010

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>John Fitzsimons writes:
>
> > >This message was delivered by email from Gmane to mailman. It was
> > >apperently posted via NNTP to Gmane by the poster and then mailed by
> > >Gmane to the list.
> >
> > Hopefully Gmane waits for the reply to the list email before it
> > "accepts" the post.
>
>I'm not sure what you're asking, but I'm pretty sure it is not the
>case.  There is no "reply" to wait for.  Both email and netnews are
>designed as store and forward.  The process is

I think what John wants to happen is the following. Whether it actually
works this way or not, I don't know, but I think it might.

- User posts via NNTP to Gmane list.
- Gmane accepts the message and mails it to Mailman but does not add it
to its archive at this point. This is what John wants. Eventually,
we'll find out if it works. I suspect it does, because whatever
messages Mailman retrieved via NNTP were apparently not in Mailman's
archive so they must have had Mailman's X-BeenThere: header.
- Mailman accepts, holds, discards, whatever the post.
- Accepted posts are mailed to the list members, one of whom is Gmane.
- Gmane receives the mailed post and archives it.

Thus, Gmane acts as an NNTP posting gateway to Mailman but we hope only
persistently stores those messages accepted by Mailman.