[Mailman-Users] Mailman and Gmane ?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Jan 22 06:51:24 CET 2010

John Fitzsimons writes:

 > >This message was delivered by email from Gmane to mailman. It was
 > >apperently posted via NNTP to Gmane by the poster and then mailed by
 > >Gmane to the list.
 >
 > Hopefully Gmane waits for the reply to the list email before it
 > "accepts" the post.

I'm not sure what you're asking, but I'm pretty sure it is not the
case.  There is no "reply" to wait for.  Both email and netnews are
designed as store and forward.  The process is

- Someone connects to your system.
- She sends you a message.
- You accept the message.
- You make sure it is safely stored on your system.
- You tell the system you got it from "OK, I've got it, you can stop
  worrying now."
- Finally, you end the connection.

However, at this stage there is no sense in which anybody knows that
delivery to the addressee will succeed.

Now you try to send it to the next hop, following the same procedure
as above.  If it is refused at any stage, the last system to have
accepted the message will send an error message back to the author
(there are some details I'm omitting, and differences between mail and
news, but that's the basic idea).

The "accept, store, forward" process happens both at the poster ->
Gmane, and the Gmane -> Mailman stages.