[Mailman-Users] Mailman and Gmane ?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jan 21 03:12:08 CET 2010

John Fitzsimons wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 16:51:21 -0800, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>
>>John Fitzsimons wrote:
>
>< snip >
>
>>>If I try your address I think it would translate to..

>>>I then get..
>
>>>xxxxxxmailinglist Private Archives Authentication
>
>>>Then...
>
>>>Private archive file not found
>
>>It translates to

>>where mydomain is your host name and mymailinglist is the cPanel list
>>name of the form listname_mydomain. Note that mymailinglist.mbox
>>appears twice, as a directory and a file.
>
>Either way I get the same result.

As I said in a followup, I made a mistake in trying to correct your
translation. It should be

>>If the Gmane address is a moderated
>>member, you will never get to accept_these_nonmembers ("List of
>>non-member addresses whose postings should be automatically
>>accepted.") because this only applies to non-member posts and the post
>>will be from a moderated member.
>
>The post is from a moderated member, Gmane, HOWEVER the header
>that is part of the Gmane post says..
>
>From: Fred Smith fs at myisp.com
>
>I was hoping that that header would take priority over the other Gmane
>headers if I blocked Gmane and had a whitelist.

It does and it doesn't. It will take priority in determining which list
member the post is from, but it won't mean a thing if put in
accept_these_nonmembers, becaues the post will have alt=ready been
determined to be from the Gmane member, so it won't be a non-member
post and accept_these_nonmembers won't be consulted.

So make fs at myisp.com an unmoderated list member with delivery and
password reminders disabled if desired, and Fred's post from Gmane
should be accepted.

>I think the Received: from address is Gmane. Would that header be
>authenticated AFTER the To: one ?

Mailman doesn't look at Received: headers. My post at
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2010-January/068451.html>
attempts to explain what Mailman looks at.

>So even though the post comes from Gmane the From: info doesn't have
>their address. It instead has the address of the person posting to the
>newsgroup.
>
>>Either the Gmane address is not a member at all, or the 'white-listed'
>>addresses have to be members, which I *think* will have priority
>>because they are in From:
>
>If I unsubscribed Gmane as a member then would the Mailman gateway
>settings still result in messages going to, and from, the newsgroup ?
>
>In other words, does anyone here know whether the Gmane subscription
>is needed ?

Presumably it is needed if you are gatewaing from Mailman to Gmane
because that's how messages get to Gmane from Mailman.

Unless of course gatwaying to/from Gmane is via Mailman's NNTP
Mail<->News gateway. Then it's a totally different story, and
everything I've been saying is irrelevant, but I don't think that's
how this is working.