[Mailman-Users] Mailman and Gmane ?

John Fitzsimons johnf at net2000.com.au
Thu Jan 21 02:54:06 CET 2010

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 16:51:21 -0800, Mark Sapiro wrote:

>John Fitzsimons wrote:

< snip >

>>If I try your address I think it would translate to..

>>I then get..

>>xxxxxxmailinglist Private Archives Authentication

>>Then...

>>Private archive file not found

>It translates to

>where mydomain is your host name and mymailinglist is the cPanel list
>name of the form listname_mydomain. Note that mymailinglist.mbox
>appears twice, as a directory and a file.

Either way I get the same result.

< snip >

>If the Gmane address is a moderated
>member, you will never get to accept_these_nonmembers ("List of
>non-member addresses whose postings should be automatically
>accepted.") because this only applies to non-member posts and the post
>will be from a moderated member.

The post is from a moderated member, Gmane, HOWEVER the header
that is part of the Gmane post says..

From: Fred Smith fs at myisp.com

I was hoping that that header would take priority over the other Gmane
headers if I blocked Gmane and had a whitelist.

I think the Received: from address is Gmane. Would that header be
authenticated AFTER the To: one ?

So even though the post comes from Gmane the From: info doesn't have
their address. It instead has the address of the person posting to the
newsgroup.

>Either the Gmane address is not a member at all, or the 'white-listed'
>addresses have to be members, which I *think* will have priority
>because they are in From:

If I unsubscribed Gmane as a member then would the Mailman gateway
settings still result in messages going to, and from, the newsgroup ?

In other words, does anyone here know whether the Gmane subscription
is needed ?

Regards, John.