[Mailman-Users] Mailman and Gmane ?

John Fitzsimons johnf at net2000.com.au
Wed Jan 20 05:11:25 CET 2010

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 22:23:17 -0500, Barry Warsaw wrote:

>On Jan 20, 2010, at 11:14 AM, John Fitzsimons wrote:

Hi Barry,

>>It is a pity that nobody in the open source community is interested in
>>creating an NNTP server that someone, who isn't a unix expert, could
>>install on a "hosted" web site.  :-(

>I wouldn't say no one is interested, but there doesn't seem to be the
>resources to make it happen.

Yes, but there are "resources" for people to create web forums.
"Resources" for people to create emailers. "Resources" for people to
create bloggs etc.

> I like Gmane personally, but I really want
>Mailman 3 to have an optional NNTP server vending messages from its message
>store.

If you mean that Mailman could provide NNTP access to it's message
store then that would be great !!!

This sort of thing HAS been done by others. A combined database that
can have it's messages accessed as web forum posts, emails, news posts
etc.

The huge advantage of this approach is that all forums are updated
together. No need to poll one forum to update to another. Also, only
one DB is needed. Instead of potentially three, or more.

The "Conversant" people call all this "Internet groupware".

> I actually don't think it's that hard, it'll just take some
>engineering.  My plan is to use the NNTP server in Twisted as the core network
>service, but I'm open to suggestions.

Get started yesterday ?   :-)

>Come on over to mailman-developers if you want to help out.

I am very happy to help out. I have been a beta tester for a number of
freeware, and commercial, programs over the years. I also have some
experience of news (proxy servers).

I have also contributed to public, and private, newsgroup servers for
more than ten years now. However, I am not a unix expert and I do
not have root access to a unix server.

I have subscribed to mailman-developers but haven't noticed any
threads on NNTP access to the Mailman DB.

So, unfortunately, I think my "contribution" may be limited to
encouragement and suggestions/ideas.  :-(

Regards, John.