[Mailman-Users] Sibling List Problem [cPanel]

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sun Jan 17 09:36:56 CET 2010

Adam McGreggor writes:

 > "Change the licence to one that requires external modifications to
 > be disclosed."

 > It needn't be restrospective, MM3 might be an ideal opportunity.

Look at the GNU Affero GPL and see if that does what you want.  I
don't think anything stronger than that would fly (and personally I
favor X11 or new BSD licenses, as long as we're rooting around for
worms :-).

IIRC, we also don't have much choice in the matter; too much of the
code we use is FSF-owned, and if so, I doubt we can get anything that
forces authors to publish modifications.  The best we can do is
copyleft (done, we're already GPL) + Affero (where deployment of
software where users can interact with it is equated to distribution
of the software, so users can demand sources).

We'll still need users willing to piss off cPanel and their ISPs by
invoking their GPL/Affero rights.