[Mailman-Users] duplicate messages

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Jan 5 15:59:36 CET 2010

Ryan Stasel wrote:

>I previously was running a series of lists on a Mac OS 10.4 Server, which I believe runs Mailman 2.1.3. And there were no real problems with duplicate messages.
>
>I have just now updated to 10.6.2, which runs Mailman 2.1.12rc1, and Dovecot (which I wouldn't think would impact anything). And yeah, already had to patch for the admindb error.

[...]
>Okay, then I have a list called "Everyone" that has the above lists as members.
>
>In 10.4, with Mailman 2.1.3, if someone emailed to "everyone" I only got one copy of that message.
>
>Now in 10.6.2, with Mailman 2.1.12rc1, if I email to everyone, I get multiples. If I'm only a member of 2 of the "child" lists, I get two copies. If I'm a member of 4 of those children, I get 4 copies.
>
>Again, nodups is on. I'm really quite lost as to why this is happening.

This is the normal behavior for umbrella lists and has been since
before 2.1.3.

Possibilities include:

1) Apple had a patch in their 2.1.3 and removed it in their 2.1.11rc1
(this is only a conjecture - I don't know this).

2) something in the outgoing MTA to you path that used to deliver only
1 of multiple messages with duplicate message-ids changed and is no
longer dropping dups.

See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/TIA9> for more on umbrella lists
and workarounds including how to use regular_include_lists to make a
'better' umbrella list if you're not concerned about digest members of
the sub-lists or processing bounces of posts sent to the "everyone"
list.