[Mailman-Users] duplicate messages

Ryan Stasel rstasel at uoregon.edu
Mon Jan 4 23:31:32 CET 2010

All,

I did some searching and don't seem to be able to find anything in the archives related to this, so...

I previously was running a series of lists on a Mac OS 10.4 Server, which I believe runs Mailman 2.1.3. And there were no real problems with duplicate messages.

I have just now updated to 10.6.2, which runs Mailman 2.1.12rc1, and Dovecot (which I wouldn't think would impact anything). And yeah, already had to patch for the admindb error.

Anyway, the problem is, I have several lists comprised of different classes of users... in this case:

Faculty
Staff
Admin
Students

There are a few users that are members of several of these lists. So, let's say I'm a member of Faculty, and Staff. I have "nodups" checked for all the instances that I am in those lists, and in all places, my email address is listed the same (same email address, same all lower case).

Okay, then I have a list called "Everyone" that has the above lists as members.

In 10.4, with Mailman 2.1.3, if someone emailed to "everyone" I only got one copy of that message.

Now in 10.6.2, with Mailman 2.1.12rc1, if I email to everyone, I get multiples. If I'm only a member of 2 of the "child" lists, I get two copies. If I'm a member of 4 of those children, I get 4 copies.

Again, nodups is on. I'm really quite lost as to why this is happening.

I did just move over the mailman directory from /var/mailman from the previous server to this one, and everything seems to work. The previous server and this one have the same IP and DNS info, so this shouldn't be an issue. =/

-Ryan Stasel