[Mailman-Users] Setting up redundant mailing lists in OS X Snow Leopard.

JRC Groups joemailgroups at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 17:29:31 CET 2010

Hi, Mark.

Thanks for your really helpful replies to my posts.

On 1/1/10 12:43 PM, "Mark Sapiro" <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:

> Carl Zwanzig wrote:
>>
>> It might be easier to achieve with user education. Many 'modern' mail
>> clients can be configured to automatically (or not) download attachments and
>> whether (or not) to display images.  I know Thunderbird does this, and IIRC
>> outlook will, too.
>

> If you really mean 'attachments' and not just things like remote images
> linked from HTML message parts, this would require IMAP access to the
> mail server. POP3 protocol only has the TOP command for retrieving
> partial messages and all it can do is retrieve the headers and the
> first n body lines (body in the RFC 822 sense where the body includes
> all the MIME headers, boundaries, etc.). Further, most POP clients
> just retrieve all new messages on the server in their entirety when
> asked to 'check mail'.
>
> And even with IMAP, it seems that at least Thunderbird with it's new
> 3.0 'Synchronize IMAP Messages' feature is moving towards
> unconditionally downloading all messages in their entirety.

I just read your post above after replying to Carl's and it became clear
that this is not the right approach for my case.

Considering this I will try some of the other solutions you have suggested
as I want to make this a simple and straightforward experience for my
subscribers.

Thanks,

Joe