[Mailman-Users] Setting up redundant mailing lists in OS X SnowLeopard.

JRC Groups joemailgroups at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 17:25:49 CET 2010

Hi, Carl.

Thanks for your reply and helpful suggestion.

On 1/1/10 11:49 AM, "Carl Zwanzig" <cpz at tuunq.com> wrote:

> JRC Groups wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to set-up user preferences so that every user can have its
>> subscription set to either receive or block attachments ? This would make
>> things a lot easier and allow me to address this issue very easily.
>
> It might be easier to achieve with user education. Many 'modern' mail
> clients can be configured to automatically (or not) download attachments and
> whether (or not) to display images.  I know Thunderbird does this, and IIRC
> outlook will, too.  And, of course, web mail generally doesn't download
> anything (except images, that's usually configurable) until someone clicks
> on the link.
>
> z!

The problem I have with this approach is the fact that I depend on users to
do this. Over the years I've noticed that the target audience for mailing
lists can basically be divided into two groups: tech-inclined subscribers
and non-tech friendly folks.

The lists I am creating are unfortunately for the second group. This is my
target audience and I would benefit from making it as simple as I can for
them.

I will keep your suggestion in mind and try it in case I am not able to
implement another solution.

Thanks again,

Joe