[Mailman-Users] Delivery to SMTP server very slow

Stefan Foerster cite+mailman-users at incertum.net
Sun Feb 21 11:15:20 CET 2010

* Stefan Foerster <cite+mailman-users at incertum.net>:
> * Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net>:
> > As I said, I think it would just be the config.pck. Everything else is
> > open source software, but I don't think I want it. It's not that I'm not
> > curious because I definitely am, but I don't want to accidentally send
> > mail to any of the list members. I suppose I could just create a pseudo
> > MTA to listen on the SMTPPORT you use and just respond with 250 to every
> > message.
>
> A plan! I will have a look at the wiki to see how I go about moving a
> list to another host. Then, tomorrow morning (it's 11pm here), I'll
> setup a VM, install the same set of packages and copy over anything
> that is closely mailman related.

Bad news. I was not able to reproduce the problem on a VM, using
backups from the day the problem first occured. And worse, this night,
while I slept a troubled, disturbed sleep, dreaming of SMTP dialogues,
the list roster changed (one new member)- and the problem is gone.

I've been doing system administration tasks since 1997, and this still
feels more like voodoo than science, sometimes.

Stefan