[Mailman-Users] Delivery to SMTP server very slow

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Sun Feb 21 07:13:26 CET 2010

On Feb 20, 2010, at 4:15 PM, Stefan Foerster wrote:

> What is a "smaller sub-list"? The list in question does only hold 11k
> recipients, which is not exactly large. Some off my SVN announce lists
> are much larger.

Yeah, but an announce-only list that is larger doesn't really compare to a discussion list which is smaller.  The smaller discussion list is likely to be much more active, and if you multiply the number of unique messages posted to the list by the number of subscribers, you may find that the smaller discussion list actually results in considerably more traffic than the larger announce-only list.

Now, I'm not saying that this is definitely the case.  And for just 11k users, it does seem unlikely.  But this is a possibility that would be useful to eliminate.

In your case, I think I'd probably first try the multiple queue-runners thing by doing powers-of-2 splits.  Regretfully, this is not well documented, but I think there is one or two FAQ Wiki questions that discuss it.

--
Brad Knowles <bradknowles at shub-internet.org>