[Mailman-Users] .htaccess protection of archives

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Feb 9 17:09:50 CET 2010

Phil Ewels wrote:

>So everyone will be using the same login details for the .htaccess
>protection (it's a fairly small group of users who need to access these
>pages, who all trust each other and having one login for all saves a lot
>of hassle). So no dynamic modification needed (if I understand you
>correctly).

Then I don't understand what "I was thinking I could get around this by
using a script to automate a log in to the archives and then scraping
the results back to my .htaccess protected folder." means.

Unless, maybe it means that the .htaccess only allows access by IP and
you'd be updating that.

>Users will be subscribed to a maximum of four lists, but I'd like them
>to be able to browse the archives of all of them. In other words, have
>the mailing lists behave as if they have public archive access, but
>behind a .htaccess wall to prevent Joe Bloggs from reading the lists.

So just have public archives and put the .htaccess in either
/path/to/mailman/archives/private/ or
/path/to/mailman/archives/public/ - either one should do it as long as
you have AllowOverride explicitly or implicitly on the directory.