[Mailman-Users] Administrative actions extremely slow

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Dec 31 00:53:44 CET 2010

Brian J Mingus wrote:

>On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 5:48 PM, Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:
>
>> I assume you are talking about links in the 'admindb' interface. How
>> about the 'admin' interface?
>>

>In this e-mail I was referring to the admin interface. I was unaware that I
>could replace admin with admindb and I don't know the difference.

The admindb interface is the one for moderators to deal with requests
awating moderator action.

The admin interface consists of several sections called

    * General Options
    * Passwords
    * Language options
    * Membership Management...
    * Non-digest options
    * Digest options
    * Privacy options...
    * Bounce processing
    * Archiving Options
    * Mail<->News gateways
    * Auto-responder
    * Content filtering
    * Topics

And is used to manage list settings and membership. The list's
administrator password authenticates for either interface and the
list's moderator password if any authenticates for only the admindb
interface.

It still sounds to me as if you are talking about the admindb interface
and not the admin interface.

>> Does this depend at all on how many requests are waiting moderator
>> action?
>>

>No. I usually don't have many requests awaiting action. Often just one or
>two, and at most usually ten.

>> The length of time for the admindb interface to load is usually
>> proportional to the number of requests waiting action and the number
>> of list members shouldn't have much to do with it.
>>
>> You might try loading other pages such as the listinfo overview (which
>> requires instantiating every list in the installation) and the list
>> specific listinfo just for comparison.
>>

>I visited mailman/listinfo and the page took 12 seconds to load. There were
>about 15 lists shown.

And this process did essentially the same amount of work that would be
required to visit the admin or the admindb interface for all of the 15
lists plus any other lists that weren't shown because they either
weren't advertised or were for a different virtual host.

>Based on the information on this thread I can only guess that the server is
>constantly sending e-mail and is thus overloaded and therefore slow. The
>other option mentioned is a slow NFS. I will inquire as to both.

Server overload is a possible explaination. Slow NFS is also possible,
but it seems unlikely as I think if the admindb interface for a list
with no outstanding requests takes on the order of 10 seconds to load,
the listinfo overview showing 15 lists would take substantially longer
if slow NFS were the explaination.