[Mailman-Users] Administrative actions extremely slow

Brian J Mingus brian.mingus at Colorado.EDU
Thu Dec 30 20:24:18 CET 2010

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 5:48 PM, Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:

> Brian J Mingus wrote:
>
> >I am moderating a list with 4200 members. Clicking on any link is
> extremely
> >slow.
>

> I assume you are talking about links in the 'admindb' interface. How
> about the 'admin' interface?

In this e-mail I was referring to the admin interface. I was unaware that I
could replace admin with admindb and I don't know the difference.

> Does this depend at all on how many requests are waiting moderator
> action?

No. I usually don't have many requests awaiting action. Often just one or
two, and at most usually ten.

> >Due to the slowness of the mailman interface I can no longer afford to
> send
> >custom reject messages - I just discard all mails that I don't want to get
> >through. I consider this to be rude to those subscribers who sent their
> >e-mail in good faith even though it was not topical.
> >
> >Please let me know if you can think of a fix or troubleshooting steps for
> me
> >to recommend.
>

> The length of time for the admindb interface to load is usually
> proportional to the number of requests waiting action and the number
> of list members shouldn't have much to do with it.
>
> You might try loading other pages such as the listinfo overview (which
> requires instantiating every list in the installation) and the list
> specific listinfo just for comparison.

I visited mailman/listinfo and the page took 12 seconds to load. There were
about 15 lists shown.

Based on the information on this thread I can only guess that the server is
constantly sending e-mail and is thus overloaded and therefore slow. The
other option mentioned is a slow NFS. I will inquire as to both.

Thanks,

Brian