[Mailman-Users] Mailman web interface - specifydifferentIP:port?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Dec 30 03:07:27 CET 2010

Tanstaafl wrote:

>Ok... but what do I point the DocumentRoot and/or the directory to?
>
>Hmmm... maybe /usr/lib64/mailman/cgi-bin/   ?
>
>Yes... it works now! Cool... thanks for your patience Mark...

It really doesn't matter because Apache isn't serving any documents
except those public archive pages whose URLs match the Alias
/pipermail/ alias. The rest of Mailman's web interface is accessed via
the ScriptAlias /mailman/ directive and maybe the Alias
/mailman-icons/ directive.

The DocumentRoot would only apply to URLs of the form
https://host:port/something/... where something is not 'mailman',
'pipermail' or 'mailman-icons'. What you have done by setting it to
/usr/lib64/mailman/cgi-bin/ is make it so that a URL such as
https://host:port/admin or https://host:port/private, etc will serve
the corresponding binary wrapper as a plain text (or whatever the
default content-type is) document.

So the question is not to what do you have to set DocumentRoot to make
things work? Rather it is what do you have to set DocumentRoot to not
return strange things for certain URLs. You might consider setting it
to some directory which has an index.html that redirects to
https://host:port/mailman/listinfo so that going to https://host:port/
anything else that isn't a Mailman URL gets a 404.

>> OK. so now it seems there is some permissions error on
>> /usr/lib64/mailman/cgi-bin/admin. Are the /usr/lib64/mailman/cgi-bin/*
>> files all in Mailman's group and all SETGID and world readable and
>> executable and are all the directories in the path at least world
>> searchable? Have you run bin/check_perms lately?
>
>Just did, and there were no errors... and the site is definitely working
> now, but I just checked and that error message is still happening
>whenever I access one of the list pages...
>
>Any other ideas? Is it something I should be worried about?

This might be related to the DocumentRoot. I don't know. I would change
the DocumentRoot for the reasons I indicate above. That probably won't
change these errors, and if it doesn't, and the Mailman web interface
continues to work, this is an Apache question that I can't answer.

One thing you might consider is whether these errors always occur or
only when you go to the port 80 http URL and not when you go to an
https://...:port/ URL. If the latter is the case, it has something to
do with the port 80 host configuration.