[Mailman-Users] Mailman web interface - specifydifferentIP:port?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Dec 23 21:48:21 CET 2010

Tanstaafl wrote:

>I meant I don't have a specific apache2 listener for mailman, like I do
>for my other websites, I've only been (tryingto) add the rewrite rule (I
>keep my rewrite rules in one .conf file, and the vhosts in individual
>files per host)... maybe I need to create one that is listening on the
>correct port, like I have for my other non-mailman vhosts?

If you haven't told Apache to listen on the port you're redirecting to,
that would explain a lot. You don't necessarily need a VirtualHost
block for that IP and port, but you do need to tell Apache to listen.

>> Without the rewrite, you should also be able to get there using the SSL
>> URL.
>
>Just tried, nope, it does the looping thing then gives the same error.

Or it just times out trying to connect because nothing is listening on
that port.

>So, you're saying it is ok/normal for both the ssl and non-ssl pages to
>work, even after I changed mm_cfg

Yes, After you changed mm_cfg.py and ran fix_url all links generated by
mailman will be of the https://lists.example.com:#####/mailman/ form,
but without the rewrite/redirect, the
http://lists.example.com/mailman/ URLs will still retrieve the pages.
Presumably this is because your ScriptAlias for Mailman is in a global
place in the config and applies to all hosts.

>As for logs...
>
>With the redirect commented, I can get to the non-ssl pages just fine...
>
>Trying to go to the ssl page, it gives the same error, and this is in
>the error_log:
>
>[Thu Dec 23 14:33:04 2010] [error] [client 192.168.1.110]
>mod_mime_magic: can't read `/usr/lib64/mailman/cgi-bin/admin'
>[Thu Dec 23 14:33:04 2010] [error] [client 192.168.1.110] client denied
>by server configuration: /usr/htdocs

Actually, it appears that there is some issue causing the directives in
/etc/apache2/conf/modules.d/50_mailman.conf to not apply to the
https://lists.example.com:#####/ host because 50_mailman.conf contains

ScriptAlias /mailman/ "/usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/"

but that's not where Apache is going - i.e., it's going to /usr/lib64/,
not /usr/local/.

>Then, after commenting out the redirect and restarting apache, when I
>try to go to the normal page (which should redirect to the ssl page), I
>get the same error, nothing in the ssl logs, and only this in the
>access_log:
>
>192.168.1.110 - - [23/Dec/2010:14:37:19 -0500] "GET
>/mailman/admin/listname/ HTTP/1.1" 301 349

Which says there's some redirect still in effect, thus the 301 status.

>Is there some kind of .conf parser for apache that will show the current
>configs it is using, similar to 'postconf -n' for postfix?

Not that I know of.