[Mailman-Users] Mailman web interface - specify differentIP:port?

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Thu Dec 23 13:37:33 CET 2010

Thanks a lot for your help here Mark...

On 2010-12-22 5:01 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Tanstaafl wrote:
>> Hmmm... so, is 4.29 - which says otherwise (and which is referenced from
>> the FAQ you pointed me to below)- no longer valid?
>>
>> http://wiki.list.org/x/7oA9

> 4.29 or 4.27?

Wups, sorry, yeah I meant 4.27...

> Both those FAQs ar valid. Perhaps it would help us understand if you
> told us *exactly* what you are trying to accomplish. E.g., are you
> really trying to force all access via https port 443 or are you trying
> to do something else:

Not port 443...

I'm trying to get things working on a non-standard port along the lines
of the How-To found here:

http://www.wesayso.net

(I know, I know, this is not ideal, but it does work well for all of the
other sites I've set up, now I'd just like to transition my mailman
install over to it as well)...

> Also note that step 1 of FAQ 4.27 is only to get an initial access to
> an http URL redirected to https. You still need to do steps 2 and 3 to
> make the form action URLs go to the correct place without redirection
> so as to not lose the form data.

I did... I set:

DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'https://%s:#####/mailman/'

Where ##### is the 5 digit port I set it to, then I ran:

 # ./withlist -l -a -r fix_url
Importing fix_url...
Running fix_url.fix_url()...
Saving list
... repeat for each list
Finalizing
 #

Was that the correct output? Did I need to stop mailman before running
that command?q

I also added the redirect for the non-ssl host to the ssl host per the
instructions at the above site:

RewriteCond   %{HTTP_HOST}  ^lists\.example\.com
RewriteRule ^(.*) https://lists.example.com:#####$1 [NC,R=301,L]

(##### is a 5 digit valid port that is not in use)

These two lines work fine for redirecting my other sites...

I didn't add an actual vhost directive for mailman in apache because I
never needed it before - I think that the settings in 50_mailman.conf
take care of that part...?

Strangely, even though I did the above changes, if I remove the
redirect, I can get to the lists on the non-ssl url, and it seems to
work fine (shows the membership, etc)... ??? I haven't tried changing
any settings yet though...

Sorry, I'm not very good with this stuff...

>> when I try to visit the correct URL, it tries to connect, but
>> looks like some kind of looping going on, then I finally get a
>> 'The connection was reset' error...

> What is the "correct" URL? Note that the changes I suggest above
> only affect what URLs are generated as links and for posting of
> forms. They don't affect what happens when you go to one.

The correct URL is what I'm trying to change...

The old one - that still works when the redirect above is commented out
- was:

http://lists.example.com/mailman

I'm trying to make it work on:

https://lists.example.com:#####/mailman

> You may have some kind of circular redirect going on in Apache as
> noted in step 1 of FAQ 4.27, or there may be some other problem. It
> is difficult to say what without seeing your httpd.conf and all
> included files.
>
> What's in your Apache error_log?

I'll have to get back to you on that - no access to the server logs
right now...