[Mailman-Users] Mailman web interface - specify differentIP:port?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Dec 22 23:01:38 CET 2010

Tanstaafl wrote:

>On 2010-12-22 1:22 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>> Tanstaafl wrote:
>>>
>>> How would I go about specifying a different IP:port for the mailman
>>> web interface?
>>>
>> [...]
>>>
>>> But I'd like to specify a redirect to a specific URL, namely:
>>>
>>> https://lists.example.com:#####
>>>
>>> Where/how do I go about doing this?
>
>> You don't want to redirect to a different URL or port. Doing so will
>> lose the data from POST transactions and break the Mailman web
>> interface.
>
>Hmmm... so, is 4.29 - which says otherwise (and which is referenced from
>the FAQ you pointed me to below)- no longer valid?
>
>http://wiki.list.org/x/7oA9

4.29 or 4.27?

Both those FAQs ar valid. Perhaps it would help us understand if you
told us *exactly* what you are trying to accomplish. E.g., are you
really trying to force all access via https port 443 or are you trying
to do something else:

Also note that step 1 of FAQ 4.27 is only to get an initial access to
an http URL redirected to https. You still need to do steps 2 and 3 to
make the form action URLs go to the correct place without redirection
so as to not lose the form data.

>> You want to set DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN and possibly PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL in
>> mm_cfg.py so that all Mailman generated URLs contain the port.
>>
>> I.e., the defaults for these are
>>
>> DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s/mailman/'
>> PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL = 'http://%(hostname)s/pipermail/%(listname)s'
>>
>> and you would put
>>
>> DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s:pppp/mailman/'
>> PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL = 'http://%(hostname)s:pppp/pipermail/%(listname)s'
>>
>> in mm_cfg.py where pppp is the desired port. Then you need to run
>> fix_url to update the lists as in
>>
>>  bin/withlist -l -a -r fix_url
>>
>> See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/gIA9>.
>
>I did this, but the pages don't work... when I try to visit the correct
>URL, it tries to connect, but looks like some kind of looping going on,
>then I finally get a 'The connection was reset' error...

What is the "correct" URL?  Note that the changes I suggest above only
affect what URLs are generated as links and for posting of forms. They
don't affect what happens when you go to one.

You may have some kind of circular redirect going on in Apache as noted
in step 1 of FAQ 4.27, or there may be some other problem. It is
difficult to say what without seeing your httpd.conf and all included
files.

What's in your Apache error_log?