[Mailman-Users] How to send messages out to only a portion of themembers?

Alan McConnell alan at patriot.net
Fri Dec 17 16:48:33 CET 2010

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 09:40:15PM -0800, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Alan McConnell wrote:
>
> >	I have an idea, but not the Mailman/Python skills to implement
> >	it.  It is as follows:
> >Every month, create(automatically if possible) a new temporary  mailman
> >E-list(*).   Copy(automatically if possible) the members -- and data --
> >of the members to be reminded -- to this new temporary List.  Blast out
> >the warning.(Blast out a second time if deemed necessary).  Destroy
> >this temporary List.
> >(*)  If the regular List is called AbracaDabra, the new temporary
> >List can be called AbracaDabra-Remind, thus alerting AbracaDabra
> >members that here is an E-mail related to AbracaDabra, and should
> >be paid attention to.
> >
> >	Is there anything in the above suggestion that is impossible?
> >	If not, how much effort -- Python writing, etc -- would be
> >	needed?  It would seem to me that such a capability would be
> >	very useful for all kinds of groups and a multitude of purposes.
>

> I would do the following:
>
> Create an announcement list named AbracaDabra-Remind following the
> guidelines in the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/3YA9>. This list will
> be permanent, but its membership will change. It should probably have
> Privacy options... -> Subscription rules -> advertised = No and
> Archiving Options -> archive = No.
	Thanks for the reply, Mark.  I've taken a look at the documentation,
	and there is no mention there, nor probably can there be, of
	my situation.   Namely:  I am the admin of a couple of E-lists,
	run under mailman, but I am not the "owner".  These are E-lists
	set up at my requests(one is free, the other I pay for) at two
	different sites.  So, even if I could write python(not one of
	my languages unfortunately), could I write commands from
	either my home machine or from my shell accounts at one of these
	big sites, that could do what I wanted?

	I think that in order to implement my suggestion(I don't say
	"solve my problem", since I can get along without this capability)
	it would have to be a part of the mailman package.  But maybe
	mailman developers aren't interested in this capability?  I
	have run the idea up the flagpole, but there have been minimal
	salutes so far<g>.

But I am certainly grateful for your thought and your response, Mark.

Best wishes of the Season to all!

Alan

--
Alan McConnell :  http://patriot.net/users/alan
        It is difficult to get a man to understand something when