[Mailman-Users] Mailman list sends but doesn't receive mail.

JRC Groups joemailgroups at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 03:40:52 CET 2010

Mark,

Thank you for your help and for taking the time to answer my questions.

Some questions and answers below next to your responses.

On 12/6/10 9:18 AM, "Mark Sapiro" <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:

> On 12/5/2010 10:22 PM, JRC Groups wrote:
>>
>> I am posting the output from "sudo postconf -n" in a following post to keep
>> it separate from my answers here for clarity's sake. I tried to find the
>> mm_cfg.py file but couldn't locate it. A spotlight search in OS X returned
>> no entries under this name. Even a spotlight search under mailman returned
>> no entries. Where would this file be located ?
>

> According to the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/QoA9>, it should be
> /usr/share/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py. If it's not there, I don't know
> where it might be.

I found it. The following are the contents of the
/usr/share/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py file I was able to display using the
cat command:

# -*- python -*-

# Copyright (C) 1998,1999,2000,2001,2002 by the Free Software Foundation,
Inc.
#
# This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
# modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
# as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
# of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
#
#
# along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
# Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301,
USA.

"""This module contains your site-specific settings.

>From a brand new distribution it should be copied to mm_cfg.py.  If you
already have an mm_cfg.py, be careful to add in only the new settings you
want.  Mailman's installation procedure will never overwrite your mm_cfg.py
file.

The complete set of distributed defaults, with documentation, are in the
file
Defaults.py.  In mm_cfg.py, override only those you want to change, after
the

  from Defaults import *

line (see below).

Note that these are just default settings; many can be overridden via the
administrator and user interfaces on a per-list or per-user basis.

"""

# Here's where we get the distributed defaults.

from Defaults import *

# Put YOUR site-specific settings below this line.
MTA = 'Postfix'
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'dentserv.main.private'
DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'dentserv.main.private'

>>> Did you create the list with Mailman's bin/newlist, Mailman's web
>>> interface or Apple's GUI?
>>
>> I created the list using Apple's GUI and then used Mailman's web interface
>> to configure and change some settings according to the needs of the list I
>> created.
>

> I don't know how Apple's GUI creates lists, but if it created entries
> for the list in /var/mailman/data/aliases it should also create virtual
> mappings in /var/mailman/data/virtual-mailman and that file should be
> referenced in Postfix main.cf virtual_alias_maps, e.g.
>
> virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual_users,
>                      hash:/var/mailman/data/virtual-mailman
>
> If virtual-mailman is not created, there is something missing from
> mm_cfg.py. There should be
>
> POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['domain.com']
>
> in mm_cfg.py.

I've tried Apple but it has become quite clear that they are neither
properly equipped nor interested in resolving the problems with Mailman (or
with OS X Server for that matter).

Can you guide me on how to correct these problems ?

Thank you in advance for your help,

Joe