[Mailman-Users] Mailman list sends but doesn't receive mail.

JRC Groups joemailgroups at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 07:22:15 CET 2010

On 12/5/10 8:36 AM, "Mark Sapiro" <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:

> JRC Groups wrote:
>>
>> This is the text returned with this Delivery Failure Notifications:
>>
>>> Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:
>>>
>>>      list at 3domain.com
>>>
>>> Technical details of permanent failure:
>>> Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient
>>> domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further
>>> information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server
>>> returned was: 550 550 5.1.1 <list at domain.com>: Recipient address rejected:
>>> User unknown in virtual alias table (state 14).
>>
>> What could be the cause ?
>

> If your MTA is Postfix, you don't have entries for list at domain.com and
> the list-* administrative addresses in a virtual_alias_maps file.
>
> If it's some other MTA you have the equivalent issue.
>

>> In order for a Mailman list to work properly do I need to create an account
>> for it in Workgroup Manager with its e-mail address ?
>

> No.
>
> If you are using Apple's package, this is really a question for Apple,
> but we can try to help. If the MTA is Postfix, post the output from
> "sudo postconf -n". Also include a listing of the contents of
> Mailman's mm_cfg.py.

I am posting the output from "sudo postconf -n" in a following post to keep
it separate from my answers here for clarity's sake. I tried to find the
mm_cfg.py file but couldn't locate it. A spotlight search in OS X returned
no entries under this name. Even a spotlight search under mailman returned
no entries. Where would this file be located ?

> Did you create the list with Mailman's bin/newlist, Mailman's web
> interface or Apple's GUI?

I created the list using Apple's GUI and then used Mailman's web interface
to configure and change some settings according to the needs of the list I
created.

> See <http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node12.html> and its
> subsections 6.1.1 and 6.1.2. Also see the FAQ at
> <http://wiki.list.org/x/QoA9>.

Thank you,

Joe