[Mailman-Users] UTF8 descriptions

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Aug 17 18:58:04 CEST 2010

Geoff Shang wrote:

>The problem is that when she tried entering in Hebrew descriptions and welcome
>messages, she got text like this:
>
>קבוצת
>עבודה וניהול
>- כלבי נחייה.
>
>I'm guessing this is an issue with dealing with UTF8 characters being typed
>into the Mailman form.
>
>Is there anything I can do about this, or is this a Mailman or browser bug?
>
>Browser is IE8.   Mailman is 2.1.11 running on Debian 5.0.
>
>NOte that the default list language was set to English, if that makes any
>difference.  Would the default language need to be set to Hebrew to make these
>fields input correctly when the form is submitted?

Either that or set the character set for English to UTF-8 if you/she
has that ability. It requires putting

add_language('en', 'English (USA)', 'utf-8', 'ltr')

in mm_cfg.py and restarting Mailman.

There is another possibility. In recent versions prior to 2.1.13, HTML
entities like < or ק were escaped as < or ק
for the web interface. If this is the issue, the underlying data are
correct; they just display incorrectly in the web admin interface.