[Mailman-Users] UTF8 descriptions

Geoff Shang geoff at QuiteLikely.com
Tue Aug 17 18:28:06 CEST 2010

Hi,

My wife is trying to set up a list for a small group of mainly Hebrew speakers.
We've configured it to make the Hebrew locale available, and this seems to
work.  (Apparently my wife doesn't think much of the Hebrew translation, but
that's another issue)

The problem is that when she tried entering in Hebrew descriptions and welcome
messages, she got text like this:

קבוצת
עבודה וניהול
- כלבי נחייה.

I'm guessing this is an issue with dealing with UTF8 characters being typed
into the Mailman form.

Is there anything I can do about this, or is this a Mailman or browser bug?

Browser is IE8.   Mailman is 2.1.11 running on Debian 5.0.

NOte that the default list language was set to English, if that makes any
difference.  Would the default language need to be set to Hebrew to make these
fields input correctly when the form is submitted?

Thanks,
Geoff.