[Mailman-Users] Alias problem?

Jian Gao jian.gao at sjgeophysics.com
Mon Aug 9 23:48:56 CEST 2010

Hi, Mark,
Maybe i am wrong but I think something is not correct and I am still
confused.

Let roll back to the beginning stage before Mailman installed. My mail
server using mysql as backend to handle virtual domain. Let say I have
domain1 and domain2 exist. I also have user table in MySQL. For example:
user1 at domain1.com, tester at domain1.com... (for now let's just focus on
domain1.)

So far my mail server handles mail correctly.  I sent an email to
tester at domain1.com, postfix use "relay=virtual":
/Aug  9 13:47:33 mail postfix/virtual[2501]: B34C642F01CA:
to=<tester at domain1.com>, relay=virtual, delay=1.5,
delays=1.3/0.06/0/0.06, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered to maildir)/

Then, as you recommended, I add domain1.com as mydestination on main.cf,
reload Postfix:
/[root at mail postfix]# postconf -n | grep mydestination
mydestination = mail.domain1.com, domain1.com, localhost,
localhost.localdomain/

Then I test by sending email to the same tester at domain1.com, maillog shows:
/Aug  9 13:55:21 mail postfix/local[2751]: 1953942F01CE:
to=<tester at domain1.com>, relay=local, delay=2.2, delays=2.1/0.03/0/0.03,
dsn=5.1.1, status=bounced (unknown user: "tester")/

What I see now is Postfix no longer looking for virtual domain. In
stead, it try to deliver the mail use /"relay=local"/. Since I don't
have a real tester user account on the server, so Postfix failed to deliver.

All above has nothing to do with Mailman. I was configuring and testing
Mailman then suddenly I realized my email server is broken. So I
restored the system (I have a clonezilla image backup) and did the above
test.

Is this means that I should not put "domain1.com" in "mydestination="?

Jian

--
Jian Gao
IT Administrator