[Mailman-Users] Alias problem?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Aug 9 21:53:53 CEST 2010

Jian Gao wrote:

>Here are some of information:

There is a non-critical issue.

>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>[root at mail in]# postconf -n
[...]
>mydestination = mail.mydomain.com, mydomain.com, localhost,
>localhost.localdomain

Your list domain 'mydomain.com' is now local per the above.

[...]
>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>/etc/mailman/mm_cfg.py
>
>#from socket import *
>#try:
>#    fqdn = getfqdn()
>#except:
>#    fqdn = 'mm_cfg_has_unknown_host_domains'
>
>DEFAULT_URL_HOST   = 'mail.mydomain.com'
>DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'mydomain.com'
>
># Because we've overriden the virtual hosts above add_virtualhost
># MUST be called after they have been defined.
>
>add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)
>

>##############################################################
># Put YOUR site-specific configuration below, in mm_cfg.py . #
># See Defaults.py for explanations of the values.            #
>
># Note - if you're looking for something that is imported from mm_cfg,
>but you
># didn't find it above, it's probably in Defaults.py.
>
>MTA = 'Postfix'
>POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['mydomain.com']

Thus, the above is unnecessary. It causes Mailman to create
virtual-mailman which isn't referenced in your Postfix config anyway.
The fact that you added 'mydomain.com' to mydestination in Postfix
makes it a local domain to Postfix.

>------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>[root at mail mailman]# ll
>total 52
>-rw-r----- 1 root mailman    41 Aug  6 10:23 adm.pw
>-rw-rw---- 1 root mailman  1132 Aug  6 12:55 aliases
>-rw-r----- 1 root mailman 12288 Aug  6 12:55 aliases.db
>lrwxrwxrwx 1 root mailman    34 Aug  6 10:12 mm_cfg.py ->
>/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py
>-rw-r--r-- 1 root mailman 14114 May 24  2008 sitelist.cfg
>-rw-rw---- 1 root mailman  1155 Aug  6 12:55 virtual-mailman
>-rw-r----- 1 root mailman 12288 Aug  6 12:55 virtual-mailman.db

The virtual-mailman* files aren't needed or used.

>[root at mail mailman]# cat aliases
[...]
>[root at mail mailman]# cat virtual-mailman
># This file is generated by Mailman, and is kept in sync with the binary
>hash
># file virtual-mailman.db.  YOU SHOULD NOT MANUALLY EDIT THIS FILE
>unless you
># know what you're doing, and can keep the two files properly in sync.
>If you
># screw it up, you're on your own.
>#
># Note that you should already have this virtual domain set up properly in
># your Postfix installation.  See README.POSTFIX for details.
>
># LOOP ADDRESSES START
>mailman-loop at mydomain.com    mailman-loop
># LOOP ADDRESSES END
>
># STANZA START: mailman
># CREATED: Fri Aug  6 12:55:44 2010
>mailman at mydomain.com              mailman at localhost
>mailman-admin at mydomain.com        mailman-admin at localhost
>mailman-bounces at mydomain.com      mailman-bounces at localhost
>mailman-confirm at mydomain.com      mailman-confirm at localhost
>mailman-join at mydomain.com         mailman-join at localhost
>mailman-leave at mydomain.com        mailman-leave at localhost
>mailman-owner at mydomain.com        mailman-owner at localhost
>mailman-request at mydomain.com      mailman-request at localhost
>mailman-subscribe at mydomain.com    mailman-subscribe at localhost
># STANZA END: mailman

The above is intended to be used in virtual_alias_maps in Postfix if
mydomain.com is a virtual_alias_domain, but it is not. It is a local
domain in Postfix so this isn't needed

Remove

POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = ['mydomain.com']

from mm_cfg.py and remove the data/virtual-mailman* files as none of
that is needed/used by Postfix.