[Mailman-Users] Try again.. Sublist addressed as umbrella list

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Aug 6 20:15:52 CEST 2010

Adam McGreggor wrote:

>On Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 06:01:54PM +0100, Steff Watkins wrote:
>
>[ still thread-jacking, though. ]
>
>> I'm setting up an umbrella list
>
>FWIW, I gave up on umbrella lists some time ago (and now build lists
>progmatically).
>
>> call it X-main and it is made up of two sublists, call them X-1 and X-2.
>>
>> Now I can send mail to X-main and it is forwarded on alright to X-1 and
>> X-2.
>>
>> The problem is that the emails show as being sent from the respective
>> sublists X-1 and X-2 and NOT from the parent list, X-main.
>
>IIRC, this is 'solved' with sibling lists, and/or, using a script to
>auto-generate, in your example, X-main (from the list-members of X-1
>and X-2).
>
>See e.g., http://wiki.list.org/x/TIA9

Correct. regular_include_lists will solve this issue as will some of
the other suggestions in that FAQ, but the question yesterday was a
different one.

Yesterday, you said

>However, they also want to be able to use the individual list address,
>eg X-1, and make it "look" like the email was 'sent to' (not just from)
>the parent mailing list address, X.

I don't know a way to do this within Mailman.

Perhaps what you really want is something different. Consider a single
list X with defined topics X-1 and X-2. The X-1 people are members of
the X list and subscribe only to the X-1 topic and similarly for X-2.
Then posts with appropriate Subject: or Keywords: headers will go only
to the members subscribed to the matching topic.