[Mailman-Users] mail is getting misdirected

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Aug 5 01:50:50 CEST 2010

Goodman, William wrote:

>I'm using version 2.1.12rc1 on CentOS 5.2 64 bit and postfix-2.3.3-2.
>I thought I configured mailman correctly, but I have issues when list
>members reply to al messages, this is the issue when I post a message
>from mylist at lists.jcvi.org it is sent to all subscribers, however when they
>try to respond the users are automatically responding to mylist at jcvi.org.
>
>Why is mailman truncating the lists.jcvi.org ? Where is the configured in
>mailman or postfix ? Please help I need to upgrade my OS and software
>but now I know my list server is not working as designed.

If this is Mailman doing this - e.g. you have selected
reply_goes_to_list = This list - you can fix it by scrolling down to
near the bottom of the admin General Options page and setting

Host name this list prefers for email.
(Details for host_name)

to lists.jcvi.org

I suspect the underlying issue is you have something like

add_virtualhost('lists.jcvi.org')

in mm_cfg.py. If you look at the definition of add_virtualhost() in
Defaults.py, you'll see that this is equivalent to

add_virtualhost('lists.jcvi.org', 'jcvi.org')

and you want

add_virtualhost('lists.jcvi.org', 'lists.jcvi.org')

or maybe

DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'lists.jcvi.org'
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'lists.jcvi.org'

You can make those changes and then run fix_url to fix all existing
lists.

If the above is not the answer, see the FAQ at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/uYA9>.