[Mailman-Users] Thank you -- Help with migration

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Apr 30 19:37:45 CEST 2010

Lee, Davis H wrote:

>Two more questions.
>
>QUESTION ONE:  Checkperms doesn't change the group owner on the symlinks
>under /var/lib/mailman (I get the message below no matter how many times
>I run checkperms -f).
>
> Should I chgrp -h on those symlinks?

You can, if it works in your OS (some OSs won't change ownership of
symlinks at all), and it may get rid of the check_perms messages, but
it doesn't really matter. check_perms doesn't deal well with symlinks,
it complains about the symlink, but fixes the target, but it is only
the target mode and permissions that are relevant anyway.

>QUESTION TWO:
>
>Postfix is not starting (see below).
>
>How can I fix this?
>
>core at lists:/var/lib/mailman$ sudo tail /var/log/mail.log
>Apr 30 10:39:03 lists postfix/master[1404]: warning:
>/usr/lib/postfix/smtpd: bad command startup -- throttling
>Apr 30 10:40:03 lists postfix/smtpd[1845]: fatal: open database
>/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases.db: Invalid argument
>Apr 30 10:40:04 lists postfix/master[1404]: warning: process
>/usr/lib/postfix/smtpd pid 1845 exit status 1

Apparently you have hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases in Postfix
main.cf alias_maps list. This is good, but either the aliases.db
doesn't exist or is corrupt.

You need to be sure you have

MTA = 'Postfix'

in mm_cfg.py, and also that the Defaults.py setting

POSTFIX_ALIAS_CMD = '/usr/sbin/postalias'

points to where postalias actually is and if it doesn't, put

POSTFIX_ALIAS_CMD = '/correct/path/to/postalias'

in mm_cfg.py.

Then run Mailman's bin/genaliases to make sure that
/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases and /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases.db are
correct and in sync.