[Mailman-Users] Uncaught Runner Exception

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Apr 18 00:33:30 CEST 2010

James Kemp wrote:

>Over the last couple of weeks I've noticed that a number of legitimate
>e-mails have failed to be delivered. All of these have been shunted and
>an error like the one repeated below is written to the error log.
[...]
>Apr 17 21:22:28 2010 (2558) Uncaught runner exception: [Errno 104]
>Connection reset by peer
[...]
>   File "/var/lib/mailman/Mailman/Queue/IncomingRunner.py", line 153, in
>_dopipeline
>     sys.modules[modname].process(mlist, msg, msgdata)
>   File "/var/lib/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/SpamAssassin.py", line 76, in
>process
>     score, symbols = check_message(mlist, str(msg))
>   File "/var/lib/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/SpamAssassin.py", line 62, in
>check_message
>     res = connection.check(spamd.SYMBOLS, message)
>   File "/var/lib/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/spamd.py", line 122, in check
>     response = fp.readline()
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/socket.py", line 406, in readline
>     data = self._sock.recv(self._rbufsize)
>error: [Errno 104] Connection reset by peer

It appears that you (or someone) has installed the
Spamassassin.py/spamd.py custom handler from
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/557991> and included it in
the GLOBAL_PIPELINE or a lists' pipeline.

The "Connection reset by peer" error is occurring while spamd.py is
waiting for a response from the spamd daemon.

I suspect this is occurring because of a time out. Prior to SA 3.3,
there was no limit on how long spamd could take to process a message.
If there were DNS issues with RBL lookups for example, there could be
very long delays. SA 3.3 has introduced a 300 second time limit, after
which it just returns what it found plus a hit on the
TIME_LIMIT_EXCEEDED rule. See
<http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/spamassassin/branches/3.3/build/announcements/3.3.0.txt>.

If you have SA 3.3, you could configure a shorter time_limit and see if
that helps.