[Mailman-Users] Messages being archived but suddenly stop being sent

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Apr 8 02:24:00 CEST 2010

Gaël Lams wrote:

>This server has been running since a few months.
>New mailing lists have been added recently and it happens that emails sent
>to these lists are accepted by postfix, transferred to mailman ("delivered
>to command: /usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post $EXTENSION"), they are
>archived (they appear on the web-based mailman's archive) but then nothing
>happen.
>I don't find any errors on neither the postfix nor the mailman logs.
>
>I did try to send an email on a older mailing list and I got the same
>problem: postfix accepts the message, gives it to mailman, email appears on
>the web-based archive, but then it's not sent to the members of the mailing
>lists.
>
>I'm quite baffled by this problem and would appreciate any pointer.

Are there entries for the messages in Mailman's 'smtp' and 'post' logs?
Presumably, there are not entries in Mailman's 'smtp-failure' log
since you say "I don't find any errors on neither the postfix nor the
mailman logs"

There are a few possibilities. The first that comes to mind is
OutgoingRunner is not running and the messages are still queued in
Mailman's out/ queue (this could be /usr/local/mailman/qfiles/out/,
/var/lib/mailman/qfiles/out/. /var/spool/mailman/out/ or elsewhere
depending on how Mailman was installed).

The basic FAQ for troubleshooting this issue is at
<http://wiki.list.org/x/A4E9>. For your specific symptoms, see item 13.