[Mailman-Users] Site password not functioning

Rob pennguin at mac.com
Fri Apr 2 04:19:24 CEST 2010

>> They are named listname+admin
>>
>> Is there any way to determine whether my mailman installation is reading the lines from my mm_cfg.py correctly?
>

> Here's one way.
>
> [mark at sbh16 ~]$ /path/to/bin/withlist -i
> No list name supplied.
> Python 2.4.3 (#1, Sep  3 2009, 15:37:12)
> [GCC 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-46)] on linux2
> (InteractiveConsole)
> False
>>>>
> [mark at sbh16 ~]$
>

> You type the command with the correct path to Mailman's bin/withlist.
> Then you type the two lines after the '>>>' prompts. In your case, the
> response should be True or 1. At the third prompt, type control-D.
>
> Another clue is whether the timestamp on mm_cfg.pyc is more recent than
> that on mm_cfg.py, although this isn't always definitive due to
> possible permission issues.

>From the withlist command I got a False response. I checked the timestamps as you suggested and found that mm_cfg.pyc had a timestamp from yesterday, likely when I ran the update. However, mm_cfg.py was last changed in 2008, which I know is incorrect since I edited it today.

So, "locate mm_cfg.py" and sure enough there are two separate mailman folders; /usr/share/mailman and /usr/local/mailman . Yes indeed, I had edited the wrong file.

Don't know where the duplicate came from, I think this server was upgraded from OS X Server 10.3, perhaps there was an old installation.

Long story short, edited the correct copy of mm_cfg.py and restarted, all works well again.

Thanks so much for your help.

-Rob