[Mailman-Users] Site password not functioning

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Apr 1 22:20:39 CEST 2010

Rob wrote:

>Thanks. I have not recently upgraded or changed Mailman, though there was a recent Apple security update, and I'm not sure if it could have included a Mailman upgrade within it. The apparently huge number of expired addresses which bounced to the -owner address today suggests (based on my understanding of the wiki article you referenced) that there must have been an upgrade included.

According to the reply at
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2010-April/069199.html>,
there was.

>I added ALLOW_SITE_ADMIN_COOKIES = Yes to mm_cfg.py and restarted mailman, but the behavior persists, or else I am not understanding the new behavior of the site admin password. Essentially I use the site admin password to quickly traverse multiple list config options without having to enter the list password for each list, delete users from multiple lists, or change their passwords for them.

Did you stop and restart your browser or clear the relevant cookies
from the browser? (an admin logout should suffice).

If ALLOW_SITE_ADMIN_COOKIES = No (the default), when you authenticate
with the site password, you get a cookie that says you are
authenticated as the list admin, not as the site admin. Thus, you
can't do global actions on the user options page and you can't go to
another list's admin pages without logging in there.

If ALLOW_SITE_ADMIN_COOKIES = Yes and you are authenticated as the site
admin and you still can't list a users other subscriptions, I think
this must be an Apple specific feature/bug.