[Mailman-Users] Posting to a moderated list

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Sep 14 19:21:59 CEST 2009

C Nulk wrote:

>Mark Sapiro wrote:
>>
>> You can add any list attributes you want. The quick and dirty way to do
>> it is to modify Moderate.py to check if
>> mlist.accept_these_special_posters exists and if so, do what you want.
>> Then you can maintain the accept_these_special_posters attribute for a
>> list with bin/withlist or bin/config_list.
>>
>:) Well, this was my first idea.  Didn't know about using
>bin/config_list or bin/withlist.  Can either of them add any random
>attribute?  I'm not thinking of adding more, just curious.

Yes. With either bin/withlist or bin/config_list, you can add, change
or delete any list attributes and generally destroy any list. If this
isn't clear from the --help, you probably don't know enough Python to
be doing this.

>I should stop thinking but another question pop into my mind.  Can I add
>the attribute such that the site administrator can change it but the
>list administrator(s) can see but cannot change the attribute?  The
>ability can even be configurable.

You could do this in the _setValue() method in Gui/Privacy.py, however,
if you don't allow site admin cookies, I.e. if you do not have

ALLOW_SITE_ADMIN_COOKIES = Yes

in mm_cfg.py, you'd have to provide an input on the page for the site
admin password and require it to be entered (and validate it) in order
to update the attribute.

The reason for this is if you don't allow site admin cookies, when you
authenticate to the admin GUI with the site admin password, you get a
list admin cookie for that list, so the code can't tell after the fact
which password you used.

Of course, you could always just display the attribute in the admin GUI
and not allow changes and require the site admin to use command line
tools to change it.